Swich to desktop website

Fly Control – Begin in good time!

Fly Control

Trouble with flies is a problem that every farmer knows well. They are not just a nuisance for people, they also affect farm results by spreading diseases and causing stress among animals. And that is what makes good fly control extremely important. MS Schippers is specialised in combatting flies, stable flies and crawling insects among livestock. Check our range of control products quickly or contact us for professional advice!

Fact about flies

  • Flies "breed like flies", literally! An adult fly can lay more than 1,000 eggs. In ideal conditions, it could take only four weeks for a couple of these insects to become a plague of 1,000,000 flies!
  • The adult flies you actually see only represent about 15% of the total population. The other 85% reside in the manure and feed residue, in the form of eggs, maggots and pupae. And that is why maggot control is a highly effective means of managing trouble with fly infestations.
  • The higher the temperature, the faster flies develop. And that is why you need to begin fly control before temperatures rise above 10 degrees!

Prevention is better than cure!

A clean working and living environment contributes to less fly nuisance. If flies do not have a suitable breeding place, they reproduce less. So keep the environment as clean as possible, e.g. always remove as much feed residue and manure as possible.

Maggot control with MS Maggot Death

Preventive control of fly eggs and maggots, using MS Maggot Death is a highly effective method of fly control. Controlling maggots handles a fly problem at the source, and that makes it the most effective and economic method. MS Maggot Death is a non-toxic substance and is easy to apply to manure or in the slurry pit.

Conditions for successful MS Maggot Death application:

  • Homogenous manure
  • No crust on slurry
  • Housing free of manure and feed residue
  • Proper dosage and application

Combatting adult flies

Maggot and fly control support each other, and it is important to implement both at the same time. To combat stable flies successfully, it is important that you always use enough fly control substances, and to apply them properly. The methods you can use depend on each farmer's needs and vary with each situation. For personal advice, just give us a call!

Chemical control

Combatting flies with toxic substances is very effective and gives immediate results. Most toxic pesticides have a residual effect. That that means they remain active after application, which makes them very suitable for keeping fly nuisance under control. It is essential that these products are applied properly to ensure the effectiveness, so that they produce the desired result, while ensuring the safety of humans and animals.

Examples of these control substances are:

  • Fly spray
  • Insect spray
  • Smearing products
  • Pour on products

Organic control

Controlling flies by using non-toxic fly traps can be very effective. This method of fly control is especially suitable in situation where you cannot work with chemical substances, e.g. residential areas or in the open air. An organic fly trap always has a bait substance that entices the flies into a space where they cannot escape.

For this type of control, you can consider using:

  • A fly trap
  • A fly bag
  • Fly light
  • A fruit fly trap

Advice

Contact us for professional personal advice or consult one of the following protocols to see the most important guidelines for successful fly control:

Any questions?

We are pleased to contact you!

Schippers uses cookies. If you use our site, you agree with the placement of Cookies.

Please enable cookies.

Attention: There might be a javascript error

Possibly some functionalities are blocked in your browser and are not working properly.

Causes may be an outdated browser, or if you are using the browser in private / incognito mode.